AppId is over the quota AppId is over the quota Vote1 - bad2345 - average678910 - great

Hey guys. This lick really helped me in my early shred years. It's a basic
Paul Gilbert style shred lick in the key of
A Minor/
G Mixolydian. I wanted to focus on a few things in this exercise. Firstly the shredding is in triplets and grouped into 6 note patterns. Working on shredding in triplets (or just 3 note per string patterns) is very important as I've found it to be the most common shredding style that comes up in most guitar solos. The key thing to practice and be aware of is that you're picking each string an odd number of times. I've often tried to avoid going down the "economy" picking road. Let's say we have 3 notes on the 6th string followed by 3 notes on the 5th. The 6th string you'll be picking down, up, down then on the 5th string up, down, up. Practicing the string changing and starting on an "UP" stroke feels weird until you drill it enough times. This is a common problem my students have had when they're trying to build up shred speed. Let's have a crack at the exercise below.

Another thing I wanted to focus on in this lesson was palm placement when doing a slightly muted shred passage. A lot of my students, and various other guitarist I've met have had difficulty keeping and even dynamic and attack on all strings when they are doing a lengthy, 6 string shred passage. Instead of muting the strings where you start and then turning your wrist when changing strings, I've found than dragging my entire palm to the next few strings keeps everything sounding even. It also feels WAY less awkward. Enjoy the exercise guys! Happy Shredding! By
Chris Zoupa View the original article heresuccess
No comments:
Post a Comment